Shredded Chicken Tacos
Ready in: 45 minutes
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped (keep the other ½ for the salsa below)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 x 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 250 g skinless chicken breasts, cooked & shredded (see recipe below, or use skinless bbq chicken)
- 1 x 400 g tin black beans, rinsed & drained.
(Make it vegan: double black beans and leave out the chicken!)
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes or diced
- fresh chilli to your taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ cup chopped coriander
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- 2-3 cups shredded baby gem or iceberg lettuce
- Diced cucumber
- Shredded carrot
- Roasted capsicum (if in oil, drained)
- 8 mini corn tortillas. (e.g. Mission), lightly toasted in a pan
Spray a large frying pan with oil and set over medium heat.
Saute the onion until softened and lightly browned, then add garlic and spices. Stir to combine and lightly toast the spices, then add diced tomatoes. Reduce heat to low to simmer the tomatoes and spices for 5 mins or until slightly thickened.
Meanwhile combine all the salsa ingredients in a bowl.
Add the shredded chicken and beans to the tomato mixture. Serve chicken mixture in tacos with desired toppings.
Cooking Shredded Chicken:
Heat a large saucepan on medium heat, lightly spray with oil and place chicken breasts in. Season the tops with salt and pepper.
Cook for 5 mins or until lightly golden, then flip over. Add ¾ cup water, cover with a lid and cook for approximately 8 minutes – cut a slice in the middle of the chicken with a sharp knife and check that the juice runs clear.
Remove the chicken from the pan and shred the chicken with two forks. Add a few tablespoons of remaining liquid to the chicken to moisten. t
314 Cal (1319 kJ), 28 g protein, 5 g fat (1 g saturated), 35 g carbohydrates (12 g sugar), 10 g fibre, 261 mg sodium